Week ThreeStorytelling, Rama The Great Shrek

Once Upon A Time...
There was an ugly beast named Rama; he lived alone in a swamp after his father Dasharatha had banished him from his home. He liked living alone and never wanted any company. He spends his days eating worms and snails while enjoying his mud baths.
One day he was going about his day when he noticed that there was a great spirit upon him. He called out to see who was with him and the sense called out with a powerful force. The spirit told him he was destined to do great things and that he had a task to fulfill.
The spirit told him of a princess, Sita, that was locked away in a tower, and her only hope to get out alive, she needed to be saved by a bold warrior. There was a sizeable fire-spitting dragon guarding her for the rest of her days.
Rama listened to the spirt and headed out on his journey. He walked for three days to reach his destination. When he arrived, he saw the tall tower surrounded by a flaming lava moat. The dragon was an enormous size and roared with a great force. He started to cross the lava pit across this rickety bridge when he heard a loud calling for help. It was the princess, Sita. Rama quickly drew his sword and sprinted up the stairwell. He could listen to the dragon in the distance, so he knew he had to work fast.
Once he approached the top of the tower, he burst open the door to a beautiful princess with 200 feet worth of hair, and he was in awe.
Sita and Rama could hear the dragon coming, but Sita could not escape because her hair was in chains. Sitas hair gave her magical powers and was the reason she was locked away because people saw her as a witch. Rama immediately knew why he was sent here; his mother had been murdered long ago because people saw her as a witch.
Rama cut her chains off with his mighty sword, and they hurried to the window, swung down by a vine, and managed to escape the dragon.
They fell in love and lived happily ever after in Rama's swamp.

Authors Notes:
 The story starts as the story Skrek but included characters from the Ramayan. I included spirts and reincarnation topics that were not originally in the story Shrek. I changed my account at the end by including bits and pieces from other fairy tails. I also added a twist to the storyline by mentioning that his mother was a witch.

Source: Shrek, Willian Steig, The Book Shrek

This is how I imagine Rama as Skrek.



Comments

  1. Hey now, you're an all star. I love it. I was already laughing at the start of the story but scrolling down to see the blue Shrek made me die laughing!!! I can't stress how much I loved the picture and story. I've always wondered how the dragon and Fiona/Sita were fed in the castle, this was something I wondered in the original Shrek that has now transitioned to your adaption. Really there must be some magic to provide for the both of them, because I'm pretty sure dragons eat a lot more than three meals a day. What if since Rama's mother was a witch, he was able to discover some long suppressed powers within himself to get them out of danger? I think that would be another cool twist on both of the original stories that would allow Rama to get in more interesting situations. Again, great story, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I LOVED that you used Shrek. Shrek is one of my favorite movies and still makes me laugh, so when I saw this story I actually laughed at loud. At the beginning I was very curious how you were going to use Shrek's plot and intertwine it with the Ramayana, and that concept immediately made me excited to read more. I think making Shrek play Rama's character was genius. I was wondering in the story if there was a reason people thought Sita was a witch? Was it her impressively long hair? What if the dragon had not been in the distance? Would they have had to call in the fairy to help them out or did they have magical powers of their own? Could be a cool twist to add later. Overall, I think this story is really cool because you could carry on the Shrek theme with other Indian Epic stories...might be cool for the storybook or portfolio projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    I thoroughly enjoyed your rendition of Shrek. Utilizing Ramayana characters in this story allows readers to marry the two concepts together, which I appreciated. Though many know the original story of Shrek, it was interesting to read the twists you incorporated. I especially enjoyed your image in this post. I like how the color of Shrek's skin is blue to mirror Ramayana's skin color. I look forward to reading more reimagined stories by you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny! Your story was an interesting read because of how you connected the Ramayana story with Shrek! I liked how you added in twists to your story to make it different than the original story. I suggest adding in a bibliography for your readers to know which story you rewrote about. Overall, a great story and I liked how you imagined Rama as Shrek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a WHILE since I have seen Shrek, but reading your rendition brought back a flood of memories. I never would have made that connection, but I can see how you might have. Were you inspired by the images of Rama where he is depicted as having blue skin? If so, I can see how- if any character is iconic for their skin it's Shrek! Also, how you found a picture of Shrek re-imagined with blue skin I have no idea! Did you make that? If not, make sure to include the link or credit. This story is such a cool way of combining a popular movie centered around Western fairytales with the Indian mythical story of the Ramayana. I would have loved to see you include some allusions to those characters as well to enhance the enchanted quality of your own tale! Maybe fairy godmother, perhaps? She seems a good parallel to the spirit you included to instruct Rama on his mission.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To A Future Pharmacist

Week 11 Story: Makhan Chor