Week 9 Story

Hey Yall, My updated story is also available on my portfolio The Birth of Karna

Kunti was a young woman who was serving her time to her beloved Guru, spending her days maintaining the garden and minding the animals. She had always done what she was told and had much respect for the Guru she worked for. Kunti did anything to please her master and worked day and night whenever she was needed. 
One day the Guru was so pleased with her work, he summoned her to his quarters to discuss her reward. "Kunti, you have been much help around my den, and I would like to reward you with great power," Guru said. "Yes, Guru," Kunti replied."
" I have seen you work hard around here to please me, and I feel its only right to reward a gift to my loyal helper... I am going to bless you with a Mantra that you can recite at any time, whatever God you are thinking of while you chant this Mantra will appear and bless you with a child".
Kunti thanked the Guru for the gift and was excited for her future to come and welcome her with open arms. Kunti was so grateful to her Guru. 
Kunti immediately went to the river to try out her new gift. She thought of something just to see if the gift would work. She thought of the Sun God while chanting the Mantra, he appeared in front of her, and she did not believe it. The Sun God told her she must be careful and should not chant the words unless she wants a child. She said the Sun God she did not wish for a child, but it was already done. The Sun God told her she must not use her powers foolishly, he could not take back once he was summoned.
She then gave birth to a boy with gold earrings and armor; he was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. Kunti knew she could not keep him because of what he fathered would think of an unmarried woman with a child. In fear, she sent the child down the river in a basket and prayed for forgiveness. 
Later on, a man by the name of Athiratha, who was a charioteer of Duryodhana, was sitting by the river of Ganga praying to the Gods to bless him with a child. He noticed something significant floating down the bank of the river, and he swam out to capture it and long behold it was a child in a basket. It was the most beautiful boy he had ever seen. He brought him inside to his wife and told her how he found him. They both knew he was special and would grow to be a great man. They knew that they were blessed with the child and decided to name him Radheya. 
Kunti sending her first son down the river
Authors Notes: The story of Karna's birth was a surprise to his birth mother Kunti and was also a gift to his adoptive parents. She foolishly used her gift when she did not need to. This story was very important to me because it caused a domino effect in the story line. She went on and had a whole new life and later on her past came up again which most likely rocked her world. Even though he was the son of a great God, he grew up being treated nothing other than an average man. This story really struck me and surprising and I enjoyed how the story of the Mahabharata showed them meeting up in the future. I went into more detail for this segment and included some inside detail for Kunti's feelings as well as her regret for her sins. I think this story shows more of Kunti's feelings and gives her more of a voice in this story because it shares more of why she made her choices. I also think it shares more inside on how and why she had always kept her gift a secret until later on and did not want to share that she had foolishly used her gift as a young girl.

Source: The Birth of Karna, Mahabharata, Youtube

Comments

  1. Hi Jenny! I think this story is really great! You do a good job retelling this episode from the Mahabharata and giving more background on a super important character, Karna. I love this scene specifically because it reminds me of Moses in the Bible. Also, that you focused more on Kunti's feelings is important, and you did a great job giving her character more of a voice than she had in the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jenny! I really enjoyed reading your story. I think you do a nice job of telling the story thoroughly. It really helps to give some more insight into Kunti’s background. I especially enjoyed the exchange between the Sun God and Kunti. I thought his caution to her helped this part of the story to seem a little less shocking. Overall, I thought you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your revised version at the link you provided at the top and think it turned out really well. Just a technicality, but I think you have an extra (") at the end of the second paragraph where you end with "Kunti replied." With this origin story, I can't help but wonder why Kunti summoned the Sun God with the mantra if she wasn't ready for a child? I wonder if Karna would have had a much different life had she not used the chant so foolishly while she was unwed? I imagine she wouldn't have surrendered him as an infant? It's an interesting thought experiment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To A Future Pharmacist

Week 11 Story: Makhan Chor