Week 7 Story, Sudhama

Sudhama and Krishna were best friends, Krishna; we met in another story. Sudhama was married to a girl from Bhrama and had many children together. Together they were both penniless and had little help. Sudhama could not work enough to provide for all five of his children. Sudhama's wife wanted him to ask Krishna for food to feed their children, and she said that it was cruel to bring a human into this world and have no food for them. Sudhama did not want to ask his best friend Krishna for a handout, but he knew it was necessary.
Sudham reached Krishna's palace but was stopped by the date keeps in a stern voice and threatened to beat him if he did not leave. Krishna saw him from his high balcony and raced down to greet him with a big hug. They walked upstairs, where Sudhama was pampered and treated like a king. Krishna demanded Sudhama hand over what he had brought with him in the bag, which was his blessing of chipped rice. The goddess of Fortune, Rukmini, snatched his had after he tried to take a bite, demanding that he should only take one piece for Sudhamas good fortune. Krishna and Sudhama talked about their childhood, and he soon realized he couldn't ask his best friend for any handout. As Sudhama was leaving after a long day with his childhood brother, Krishna wished him good fortune and safe travel home.
As Sudhama made his long trip home, he arrived to see that his once small hut was now a mansion of a monstrous size, and his family was showered with blessing such as food and so much more. Krishna had given him a blessing for his gift of love for everyone.


Authors Notes: In today's story of Indian Epics, we see an unfamiliar character and a familiar character of a recent story. Some small details were left out, and some small details were added. Nothing major was changed but there was a define timeline I tried to stick by.


Sudhama being treated like a King, by a King
Source: MagicBox, Sudhama

Comments

  1. I really liked the story I think it reminded me of college. I think a lot of students don't like asking for a handout. I do like that the poor man was treated like a king. I think it reminds me that even when we don't feel our best we still deserve to be treated like royalty! Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I loved your story! I can totally see Sudhama’s point of view not wanting to ask for a handout. I also liked the ending how he didn’t even have to ask for Krishna already knew what his friend needed. I feel like when you get to a certain point in friendship you can read your friend and know what they need. I liked this story keep it up! Also you may want to change date keep to gate keep lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny,

    Honestly, I had to read your story a second to time fully understand it. The second time I read it I really enjoyed it. I could picture both characters interacting with one another and could see the story play out in my head. There were a few typos, but nothing significant. One criticism I have is that the story did not flow very well. I felt like each sentence stood on its own and did not link in with the next. Adding some transitions between sentences would help the story be more smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jenny! I really enjoyed reading the story of Sudhama. It was not a story that I was familiar with. I really enjoyed Krishna’s character throughout the Mahabharata so it was really neat to gain a new perspective on his life through Sudhama as well! I think the ending is so nice! It goes to show how deeply important friendship is and how kindness can impact lives in ways we can only dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other than a few spelling and grammar hiccups here and there, this is a great scene to retell and I enjoyed reading it since I hadn't remembered this scene at first! I feel like this is a great snapshot to depict the characters and their personalities as well as the dynamics of their friendship. As much as dialogue can sometimes slow down a story, I think for the few times in which it's said they interact it could really bring it up a notch to "show" instead of "tell" what these conversations were. For example, when at the conclusion you reveal what he comes home to almost through his own eyes is my favorite part since it's so unexpected! Even before I read the last line that said it was Krishna's doing, I think it felt natural the way you built it up for this to be assumed or implied. So that's some strong storytelling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To A Future Pharmacist

Week 11 Story: Makhan Chor